UTF-8 Character problems

• ABPro Support
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 5 months ago - 12 years 1 month ago #5355 by ABPro Support
UTF-8 Character problems was created by ABPro Support
The UTF-8 data sent by AJAX calls need to be encoded when sent back to the server. The encoding process in slightly different between Windows and Linux servers. The vast majority of Joomla sites are Linux so that is how ABPro is delivered.

If you are running a Windows server you will need to make the code modification shown below and also mentioned in the User's Guide.

Some Linux servers have the WINDOWS directive defined even on Linux so that effectively tells ABPro to use the wrong encoding. The code change below, specifically tells ABPro what type of box is in use.

Edit file:
(for ABPro 1.4.x) /components/com_rsappt_pro14/rsappt_pro14.php.
(for ABPro 2.0.1) /components/com_rsappt_pro2/rsappt_pro2.php

Right near the top find..
//define("WINDOWS", false);

If you are using a Windows server uncomment that line and set the 'false' to 'true'
define("WINDOWS", true);

If you are not using a Windows server it may be the WINDOWS value is mis-defined somewhere. Uncomment the line to specifically tell ABPro you are not using a Windows server.
define("WINDOWS", false);

This is only required for non-English sites using a UTF-8 character set.

#UPDATE#
ABPro now attempts to set WINDOWS
if (substr(PHP_OS, 0, 3) == 'WIN') {
define("WINDOWS", true);
} else {
define("WINDOWS", false);
}

#UPDATE#
Some environments mimic Linux under Windows so you need to set WINDOWS false even though you are on Windows.
Some environments (XAMPP) will ignore ABPro's define of WINDOWS and always set WINDOWS true. In this case the only way to get date translations to convert to UTF-8 correctly is to reverse the logic.
For example, in gad_ajax.php, wherever you see
if(WINDOWS){
You need to change that to
if(!WINDOWS)
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by ABPro Support.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum

Just thought I'd pass along some positive feedback from my client:
"All of us are excited about our new online booking!! Shanyn & Chelsea said it’s “fun”; even I’m getting the hang of it!  There are still a few glitches so we’re having another meeting on Tuesday - but all of us are thrilled!  Thank you! Thank you!"

The "glitches" they mentioned are all minor and I've tweaked a few settings and answered a few questions to address them. Overall they're very happy. "
Chris C

"Hi, im back 
 After using appbooking pro for 3 years successfully i have tried another booking system for a new site that was more expensive, promised a lot but full of errors and the developers wanted to suck the $$ for every little request.

Anyways, great to be back here "
roll82

"thanks for all the help you have given me over the past few months. We have managed to get the system to work so that multiple businesses around the country can log into our website and manage appointments for their own businesses through the ABPro System."

owen_molloy October 2013

"All of us are excited about our new online booking!! Shanyn & Chelsea said it’s “fun”; even I’m getting the hang of it!  There are still a few glitches so we’re having another meeting on Tuesday - but all of us are thrilled!  Thank you! Thank you!"

The "glitches" they mentioned are all minor and I've tweaked a few settings and answered a few questions to address them. Overall they're very happy. "
Chris C

"Hi, im back 
 After using appbooking pro for 3 years successfully i have tried another booking system for a new site that was more expensive, promised a lot but full of errors and the developers wanted to suck the $$ for every little request.

roll82

"thanks for all the help you have given me over the past few months. We have managed to get the system to work so that multiple businesses around the country can log into our website and manage appointments for their own businesses through the ABPro System."

owen_molloy October 2013

Chris C

"Hi, im back 

roll82

owen_molloy October 2013

Chris C

"Hi, im back 

roll82

owen_molloy October 2013

Chris C

"Hi, im back 

roll82

owen_molloy October 2013

Chris C

"Hi, im back 

roll82

owen_molloy October 2013

Chris C

"Hi, im back 

roll82

owen_molloy October 2013

Chris C

"Hi, im back 

roll82

owen_molloy October 2013